A reflection on WHIPLASH




A classic lesson: you have to push harder than your limits to unleash the unexpected potential in you.
That's what I believe is the one highlighted message of the movie WHIPLASH. 

The movie is about a drummer, Andrew, who wanted to reach greatness. He was studying at one of the best music schools, and he gets the chance to be mentored by the 'abusive' instructor Fletcher.
This is a catchy movie, each moment kept me waiting for what's going to happen next. However, it didn't feel comfortable, at a certain moment I hated both Andrew and Fletcher, at other moments, I sympathised with both of them. The ending was very dazzling because It was kinda satisfying for the two contradictory characters.
 At the beginning, I was kind of trying to justify the abusive actions of Fletcher, I kind of got that the whole central idea is pushing harder to reach the unexpected, but when I kept watching I was saying to myself: "no, wait, you can't make such pressure on someone hoping that it would unleash the hidden potentials, what if you unleash a dark beast instead? what if you unleash a selfish masochist beast?" 
I was hoping that Fletcher becomes at a certain moment aware of the harmful consequences of his method. I was hoping that Andrew would pay attention to the arrogant harmful person he's becoming. I, too, was hoping that the ending would be a little bit different, because it seemed like an ongoing destructive challenge between anger and ambition, between the limits and limitlessness of every aspect of being human. However, it ended with a big question mark in my head and left me with too many questions. This movie left me unsure of many things, and though I believe that this is exactly the message that the director wanted to deliver, I hated it as much as I liked it. I love the challenging movies, the movies with double intimidating meaning, but I don't like the slightest feeling that this movie might justify the abusive/ the self-abusive actions that people might perform no matter what is the purpose.


KhaOula

تعليقات